Sunday, September 11, 2011

mean girls

I can NOT believe, can NOT stand, and can NOT stomach the fact that at 4 years old~in kindergarten~my Birdie is already dealing with mean girls.

this morning after church, a girlfriend of mine informed me that "something" was going on with the girls in kindie. the Bird doesn't provide me with too many details about her school days, so this was news to me. then my friend told me she thought some of what was going on was directed at my babe and I almost freaked out.

when we got home, I asked Birdie about how the girls were treating each other and she told me in the best way she could what was happening. she said there is a girl who told her she couldn't be friends with the other girls and she told the girls they could not be friends with my baby Bird. can you handle it?! I certainly could not and felt myself getting hot and itchy. when I asked my baby 'why' (as if there could ever be a legitimate reason) she explained that it was because this girl didn't like that the other girls in class wanted to play with Birdie.

and now I don't know what to do. the thought of mean girls (either one of my girls being the target of one or...and possibly much much worse...one of my girls being the mean girl) has terrified me since the day our Bird was born. back then, it was easy to imagine myself tearing into school like a maniac demanding apologies and justice and scaring everyone straight. now, however, I'd like to maintain the friendships I've established within the school and not permanently tarnish our family name, so I don't know exactly how to handle this.

I know my kids are not perfect, but I just keep picturing my little girl at her school looking like this:and it's breaking my heart.

even though I know it's not possible or even reasonable to expect that I'd be able to protect her from everything, that's exactly what I want to do. I want to keep her with me all day and tell her how amazing and wonderful and sweet and smart and...she is. but I guess this is one of those things that my dad would always say "builds character." and while I could not be more proud of the character Birdie exhibits at only 4 years old, I pray this will only strengthen her and make her even more conscientious of how we all want and deserve to be treated ☮


on a lighter note: ★★★don't forget to leave a comment under the post for the Baby Bonkie Giveaway!!! good luck!

5 comments:

Erika Duffey said...

Love you Mo.

Anonymous said...

Tell the Bird that she should play with everyone and if that girl says no....Bird should politely say, "you're not the boss of me!"

Kristen said...

No no no!!! Everything about this is terrible, but I know your little girl will handle everything wonderfully with the perfect amount of grace and humor, just like her mama.

whatever said...

Birdie should tell them "whatever"

whatever said...
This comment has been removed by the author.