Tuesday, January 10, 2012

diy: fluoro ankle boots

inspired by Deanna's adorable glitter flats (found here), I finally decided to give life to the vision of neon ankle boots I've had dancing around in my head. (starring me...dancing around in the neon ankle boots dancing around in my head)

I get these visions of things sometimes. with these boots for instance, I envisioned the simplest of simple ankle boots with just a punch of neon, and couldn't find them anywhere.

well, if you want something done (right) sometimes you just have to do it yourself...so I did!

about as easy as DIYs come, all you need for this one is:

ankle boots (mine are from Target and were like $20)
Mod Podge (I have this on hand at all times. it's like the crafter's egg.)
glitter (I chose fluorescent yellow by Martha Stewart)
sponge brush



on a paper plate, create a paste using the Mod Podge and the glitter,
and then put that 39 cent sponge brush to use.

I found that the best way to apply it (especially with a color as unforgiving as fluorescent yellow) is to use a criss cross pattern. this way when it dries it is smooth and uniform.

although frightening at first,
the Mod Podge will dry clear (and quickly too) and you'll be left with just the glitter color.

because the boots I chose are so dark and the glitter color so light and bright, I seriously probably needed about 25 coats of the glitter paste. sounds crazy, and believe me, Babe was very skeptical the whole time I was working on it, but each coat only needs about 15-20 minutes to fully dry. so it's not that crazy.

and eventually, the boots I had stuck in my head for so long began to come to life.

3 comments:

whatever said...

Those are so, so cute and St Pat is coming up.

Kit O'Leary said...

so cutie!!! i love them!

they remind me a little of "JEM! truly outvageous, truly truly truly outvageous!"

rach_t said...

this looks soooo cool!!!!:D